- We are seeking a (Senior) Policy Manager who will work closely with global and local teams to drive IPA Nigeria's evidence to impact agenda.
- The (Senior) Policy Manager will lead IPA Nigeria's policy impact strategy, focusing on creating and managing high-impact opportunities for policymakers to use evidence in decision-making.
- The (Senior) Policy Manager will report to IPA Nigeria's Country Director with dotted line oversight from the global policy and communications team and substantial collaboration with Nigeria research teams.
- This position will pioneer IPA's policy outreach and impact work in Nigeria, building and deepening relationships and identifying and creating evidence-to-impact opportunities.
Lead Nigeria in Policy Outreach Strategy (25%):
- Map key NGO, government, and development partner stakeholders with influence in priority sectors to be agreed with the Country Director and Global Policy team.
- Strengthen expertise on the global and local evidence base in 3-4 sectors selected and cultivate relationships with key local stakeholders in those sectors.
- Work together with the global policy and communications team to lead strategic events for policy purposes, including but not limited to summits, conferences, workshops, technical working groups, and round tables.
- Support researchers and country management to participate.
- In collaboration with researchers and in support of the country director, represent IPA locally in policy conversations and at events.
- Support research management staff in executing the “Policy Impact Minimum Must Dos” and in identifying and stewarding high potential partner relationships, particularly with senior levels within government or large organizations.
Cultivate and Manage High Impact Policy Opportunities (50%):
- Lead Nigeria in continuously identifying and prioritizing high impact policy opportunities for evidence to be used.
- Perform desk research to identify existing evidence, gaps in the literature, and innovative interventions in priority areas, in partnership with global teams.
- Cultivate relationships with key local decision-makers in 3-4 sectors, particularly those with decision-making authority over particular evidence-to-impact opportunities.
- Launch high impact policy opportunities, including opportunities to provide decision-makers with technical assistance for scaling-up evidence-based programs; initiating evidence-to-policy labs; and/or writing and implementing evidence-informed policies, and either manage small-scale engagements personally with global support, or collaborate with global teams to raise funds for additional staff to realize these opportunities.
- Identify and help launch opportunities for policy relevant right-fit monitoring and evaluation opportunities in Nigeria, and either manage small engagements personally with global support, or collaborate with global teams to raise funds for additional staff.
Project Development (25%):
- Identify opportunities and cultivate relationships that lead to developing large-scale policy evaluations with key decision-makers.
- Support research teams and researchers in development and execution.
- Identify opportunities and cultivate relationships that lead to developing field replications to consolidate research on key policy-relevant research questions. Support research teams and researchers in development and execution.
- Together with the Country Director, act as lead steward to key partner relationships and support key research partner conversations.
- Proactively identify fundraising and business development opportunities for research on programs, develop concept notes, and pursue opportunities in collaboration with global and country office-based staff.
- Other Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Maintain compliance with all company policies and procedures.
- Master's Degree in Economics, Development, International Relations, Public Administration, Public Policy or a closely related field.
- 7 or more years of relevant experience, including at least 3 years of experience working closely with local government officials.
- Master's Degree in Economics, Development, International Relations, Public Administration, Public Policy or a closely related field strongly preferred. Will accept additional experience in place of master’s.
- 5 or more years of relevant experience, including at least 1 year of experience working closely with local government officials.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated interest in international development policy required.
- Attention to detail and advanced presentation skills for communicating policy lessons from academic papers in ways that policymakers understand.
- This requires clear, precise, non-technical writing and confident, effective spoken communication and presentation style.
- Experience in leading business development opportunities and proposal writing.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills: the ability to effectively convene and liaise with a variety of people in multiple organizations in a multi-cultural environment and across many time zones.
- Proven ability to multitask and successfully complete projects on tight deadlines with little supervision.
- Willingness to work hard, be self-motivated, and learn will be essential for doing well in this position.
- Ability to supervise staff and manage projects independently.
- Ability and willingness to travel to various project sites
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with government standards, including meeting qualitative and/or quantitative productivity standards
- Ability to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with IPA standards
- Must be able to talk, listen and speak clearly on telephone.
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a research and policy non-profit that discovers and promotes effective solutions to global poverty problems.